The Oklahoma Parents Center (OPC) is a federally funded Parent Training and Information Center. We are funded through the US Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) and Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE). We have been providing services to Oklahoma families of children with disabilities, their teachers and other professionals since 2000. Our PTI staff is here to help you navigate the Special Education Maze and provide you with the information and tools you need to be an informed and active participant in your child’s education.
All services are provided
at no cost
to Oklahoma parents and families!
Our goal is to educate and support parents, families and professionals in building partnerships that meet the needs of children and youth with the full range of disabilities ages’ birth to 26.
What is the Purpose of the OPC?
The purpose of the PTI project is to help Oklahoma parents and families:
- Better understand the nature of their children’s disabilities and their children’s educational, developmental, and transitional needs;
- Communicate effectively and work collaboratively with their child’s educators and other professionals;
- Participate in decision-making processes, including those related to their child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP);
- Understand about the range, type and quality of options, programs and services, technologies, practices and interventions that are based on scientifically-based research;
- Understand the resources available to assist their children at school and home;
- Understand their rights as provided under IDEA (the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004); and
- Participate in activities at the school level that benefit their children and to participate in parental involvement activities.
Who should call the Oklahoma Parents Center?
- Parents of children with disabilities, or suspected disabilities age birth to 26;
- Parents of children with emotional or behavioral problems age birth to 26;
- Youth with disabilities age 18 to 26; and
- Professionals in educational, medical, or human service fields.
What Services do the OPC offer?
The OPC offers the following to parents, professionals, and consumers in Oklahoma:
- Toll Free “Parent Info Line”;
- Staff located throughout the state;
- Individual assistance with educational issues;
- Information and Referral; and
- Parent Education Workshops on a variety of subjects including (visit http://oklahomaparentscenter.org/parents/training/ for more information):
- Writing an Effective IEP (Individualized Education Program)
- Positive Behavior Supports
- Effective Communication Skills
- Transition to Preschool and Kindergarten Services
- Transition to Adulthood
- Basic Rights In Special Education
- Section 504 – ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Bully Prevention and Solutions
- And others, as requested
Where are the Oklahoma Parents Center’s services available?
The Oklahoma Parents Center’s services are available throughout the state. We have regional trainers geographically dispersed throughout the state, but our main office is located in Holdenville, Oklahoma.
What are the hours that Oklahoma Parents Center is open?
The Oklahoma Parents Center main office is generally open from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday thru Friday. All of our staff have obligations outside the office. There may be times that you would reach voicemail during our regular office hours. Our staff makes every effort to return your call in a timely manner, usually within 24 hours.