In order to effectively advocate for yourself or your child, you need detailed information on the laws, communication, team building skills, etc. Ongoing training opportunities for all parents and professionals can assist in this process.
The Oklahoma Parents Center provides training to all families of children and youth in Oklahoma and the providers who service and support them at no cost.
Here is a list of our most popular trainings that we offer; however, we are happy to customize a training based upon your needs:
- Stepping Into Your Independence
This workshop provides students with disabilities tips to take charge of their education. It includes information on how to successfully exercise their rights and responsibilities in real-life situations.
- The Basics of Special Education
This workshop explains the 10 basic steps of Special Education, the 6 Principles of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and parent and student participation in the process.
- Understanding the Differences between IEPs vs. 504s
We will share a brief history lesson on U.S. disability laws. Then go into detail regarding the differences and similarities of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA).
- Understanding Your Child’s IEP
This workshop provides a brief overview of what is included in an Individualized Education Program (IEP), preparing for meetings, solving disagreements, and the role of parents in the Special Education process.
- A Look into Life After Special Education
This workshop provides a glimpse of what life looks like after high school for students with disabilities…including eligibility for Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The OPC has regularly scheduled trainings each month. Please see our calendar at the bottom of each webpage for our current calendar!
HOW TO SCHEDULE A WORKSHOP IN 5 EASY STEPS:
- Decide on a workshop topic.
- Contact the OKLAHOMA PARENTS CENTER, INC., toll-free at 877-553-4332 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a date and time.
- Pick a place to hold your workshop or choose online via Zoom.
(Free places are the best – check with your library, school or Chamber of Commerce Building)
- Get the word out. The OPC staff will help you with flyers. If you chose an online training, please share the registration link.
- Sit back and enjoy the workshop, gain knowledge, confidence and skills.
The OKLAHOMA PARENTS CENTER staff will be glad to assist you in selecting a workshop topic. We will help you get the word out, and help locate a place to hold your workshop. Best of all, we bring all of the necessary materials and handouts. Most trainings are 1-2 hours long; however, we can adapt a training to best fit your groups needs.