Child Find

What Is Child Find?

Child Find is a continuous process of public awareness activities, screening and evaluation designed to locate, identify, and refer as early as possible all young children with disabilities and their families who are in need of Early Intervention Program (Part C) or Preschool Special Education (Part B) services of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
IDEA States:  All children with disabilities residing in the State, including children with disabilities who are homeless children or are wards of the State, and children with disabilities attending private schools, regardless of the severity of their disability, and who are in need of special education and related services, are identified, located, and evaluated.

IDEA requires all states to have a “comprehensive Child Find system” to assure that all children who are in need of early intervention or special education services are located, identified, and referred.

All children deserve a chance to reach their full potential. Project Child Find, a service to assist families of children who may have special needs, is here in Oklahoma to see that every child has that chance.  The Oklahoma Parents Center has a Project Child Find Hotline, 1-888-9-OKFIND or 1-888-965-3463.  If there appears to be a delay in any area of your child’s development, you may seek assistance from Project Child Find. The OPC staff is happy to guide you to the appropriate people/services for extra assistance.

Click here for the OPC Child Find Brochure!

Where to call for a free evaluation from the state depends on your child’s age:

Under Three (3) Years Old

Contact SoonerStart Early Intervention Services at 405-521-3351 or locate your local SoonerStart office by clicking here!

Three (3) Years Old and Older

Contact your local public school system.  Click here for a list of School Districts in Oklahoma!
* Even if your child is not yet old enough for kindergarten or enrolled in a public school, call your local elementary school and ask to speak with someone who can help you have your child evaluated.

If you’re not sure who to contact, call the Oklahoma Parents Center toll-free at 877-553-4332 and we can help you!

Get Involved!

Are you trying to find a way to get involved in special education decisions and policy making? You have found a good starting point! The

Surrogate Parents

Congress recognized the importance of active parents’ involvement in planning their children’s educational programs, monitoring progress, and challenging inappropriate decisions. This child advocate role is


INDIVIDUAL CAREER ACADEMIC PLANNING (ICAP) The term ICAP refers to both a process that helps students engage in academic andcareer development activities and a product